Check back soon to see when this course will be offered again. Click here to see a list of currently available courses.
Students taking this online colored pencil drawing course should have experience with the basic colored pencil techniques described in Creating Radiant Flowers in Colored Pencil. It is absolutely imperative that students who are not familiar with the Layering, Burnishing and Underpainting colored pencil techniques, read Creating Radiant Flowers in Colored Pencil, Chapter 2, Techniques & References, pages 22-25. It is highly recommended that students new to colored pencil practice the simple exercises accompanying this information before beginning the course. They should also familiarize themselves with colored pencil tools and materials as described in Chapter 1, Getting Started, pages 10-14.
The course artwork should be completed on 8 x 10 inch sheets of Strathmore 500 series, 3 or 4-ply Bristol vellum, regular (toothy) surface, available online at Dick Blick, Jerry’s Artarama, Daniel Smith, etc. Use of incorrect paper will yield unsatisfactory results.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to create radiant colors using colored pencil
- How to draw an Amaryllis, Anthurium, and Tulip step-by-step
- Tips for composing floral pieces
Who should take this course:
- Students with a solid background in colored pencil art
- Colored pencil artists familiar with colored pencil tools, materials & basic techniques
- Artists that love to draw flowers & want to create more radiant results
ART SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED:
- 2B graphite pencil (for layouts)(p. 14)
- Electric or battery operated pencil sharpener (p. 13)
- Kneaded eraser (p. 13) or battery operated eraser (optional p. 13)
- Desk brush (p. 14)
- Pencil lengtheners (p. 13)
- A small watercolor pallet
- Numbers 4, 6 and 8 round watercolor brushes
- Container for water
- Water containers
- Paper towels
- Bestine (no substitutions) rubber cement thinner (Gamsol may be substituted if Bestine is not available)
- A small glass container with lid for bestine
- Cotton tipped applicators
All colors are Prismacolor Premier, unless otherwise noted. Equivalent colors from other manufacturers may be substituted all or in part. Student quality pencils are not acceptable.
All assignments must be submitted through the Blackboard System for evaluation.
Note: Assigned art must fill most of the 8 x 10 inch sheet, keeping an approximately .75 inch border from the edges. Completed artwork for submittal should be scanned full-size at 72dpi. Photographed art will not be accepted.
Homework assignment: Read and complete the Amaryllis demonstration on page 34. Color pallet at top of page in highlighted area.
Homework assignment: Read and complete the Anthurium demonstration on pages 32-33. Color pallet and paper surface on top of page 32 in highlighted area.
Homework assignment: Read and complete the Tulips demonstration on page 118. Color pallet at top of page in highlighted area.
Homework assignment: Read and complete the Begonia demonstration on pages 36-37. Color pallet at top of page 36 in highlighted area.